Treatment of syphilis with penicillin injections is the main and most effective way to eliminate this venereal disease. Only under the influence of penicillin can this disease be cured relatively easily.
How often do I have to get syphilis shots?
This antibiotic is recommended to inject at all stages of treatment of syphilis, including during pregnancy. Successful treatment of syphilis with penicillin is explained by the fact that the causative agent of the disease — pale Treponema, is vulnerable to the effects of the drug.
Causes of syphilis and diagnosis
Syphilis is a chronic systemic venereal infectious disease that leads to pathology of the skin, mucous membranes, bones, and internal organs. Distinctive features of the pathology are a strict sequence of stages of the disease and wave-like symptoms.
Methods of infection with syphilis:
- A blood transfusion is affected by syphilis;
- Using an infected tool;
- The household way of infection.
When ingested, the infection goes through an incubation period of 3-6 weeks. Then an ulcer with a diameter of up to 2 cm occurs in the focus of infection, which does not create painful sensations. This ulcer is called hard chancre. If it is in the vagina, the diagnosis of the disease is difficult.
After 2-3 months, rashes appear on the skin. Condylomas grow on the genitals and in the anus. If you do not start treatment for several days, the symptoms subside and the disease goes into a hidden period. When infected with syphilis during pregnancy, the disease is transmitted to the unborn child.
Treatment of syphilis with penicillin
Treatment plans for syphilis depend on the stage and form of the pathology. However, at the moment there is no one specific way to treat the pathology. The doctor prescribes a different treatment regimen for each patient, taking into account the following recommendations:
- Primary and secondary stages of syphilis-take 600,000 units of benzylpenicillin 1 time a day for 10 days. If the disease was diagnosed quickly, then these two stages are treated fairly easily;
- Latent phase (more than 2 years) and late benign-600,000 UNITS of benzylpenicillin once a day for 15 days;
- Damage to the cardiovascular and nervous system-600,000 UNITS of benzylpenicillin once a day for 20 days;
- Pregnancy. The dosage of the drug depends on the stage of the disease;
- Congenital syphilis. A single dose of 50,000 UNITS per 1 kg of weight, if the condition of the cerebrospinal fluid is normal. If there are violations, then treatment is carried out for 10 days;
- Infants under 6 months – 100,000 UNITS per 1 kg of weight, aged 6-24 months-75,000 UNITS per 1 kg of weight, older than 2 years-50,000 UNITS per 1 kg of weight. The drug is administered 6 times a day. If the infection occurred for the first time, then within two weeks. In case of repeated infection or latent form, the drug is administered for 4 weeks.
There is also an ultrashort treatment regimen that only works for 2 days from the moment of infection. This scheme is used if there is a suspicion of infection with syphilis. According to this scheme, one intramuscularly administered benzylpenicillin in the amount of 2 million 400 thousand UNITS.
If the patient is found to have antibodies after a year or more, then a second course of treatment with injections will be taken, in which the daily dosage of the drug increases. The benefits of treatment with penicillin:
- A syphilis patient who receives an antibiotic injection does not transmit the infection to people they come into contact with;
- Relapses Rarely occur.
Also, in the treatment of the disease, many doctors prescribe herbal supplements and dietary Supplements to patients. They are an auxiliary tool in the treatment of pathology. Among herbal supplements, it is recommended to use pine nuts, garlic, apricots, red clover. It is also very important to use zinc supplements. Side effects of penicillin:
- Vomiting, nausea, or diarrhea;
- Fungal infections in the mouth or on the genitals;
- Rashes or shades.
Analogues of penicillin
Some patients have penicillin intolerance. Sometimes an allergic reaction to this antibiotic leads to death. Therefore, patients who do not tolerate penicillin are prescribed other medications. Patients are prescribed the following drugs: erythromycin, Sumamed, tetracycline, doxycycline, amoxil, levomycetin. These drugs are available in the form of tablets.
Complications after syphilis
This pathology, especially if it is not immediately treated, can lead to various complications. And in the late stage of syphilis without treatment, a fatal outcome is possible. Therefore, it is very important to consult a doctor at the first symptoms or suspicions of syphilis in order to start surgical treatment. Rapid diagnosis of the disease at an early stage allows you to effectively and in a short time cure syphilis without possible complications:
- Neurosyphilis-damage to the Central nervous system;
- Problems with the cardiovascular system;
- Destructive manifestations on the skin and in the bones;
- During pregnancy syphilis is transmitted from the mother to the child;
- The risk of HIV infection increases.
When the disease turns into a complicated form, then conventional injections do not help. In this case, penicillin begins to be administered by lymphatic route, isolating the lymphatic vessel on the heel by surgical intervention. An antibiotic is injected into this vessel.
Treatment of syphilis occurs only under the supervision of a doctor. It is impossible to cure the pathology yourself at home. The patient must take blood for tests, and adjust the amount of medication. However, sometimes doctors can make concessions, and the patient is prescribed a shock dose of an antibiotic, but it can lead to adverse consequences.
For each patient, an individual penicillin treatment regimen is prescribed, and the dosage of the drug may differ. The drug is diluted in saline, using in the form of injections. There is no single General treatment regimen for syphilis.
Some people may have penicillin intolerance. Then they are prescribed a similar medicine. With the right medications and following all the doctor’s instructions, the patient can be cured of syphilis forever.